Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Backup Minister

Yesterday Josh and I had a very interesting lunch date to say the least.  

Let me preface it by saying a few weeks ago we got a sad call from my minster explaining that unfortunately he has to have back surgery ASAP and will be out for 6 weeks.  So seeing as our wedding is 3 weeks away, well, you can do the math.  Immediately he assured us that he has a replacement on hold for us who will be fabulous and perhaps "even better" than he....(yeah, right.  My minister is the bomb-diggity and of all the things I envisioned on my wedding day, he was always top of my list).  As he is speaking to me I am calmly reminding myself to breathe and remember that this is not the end of the world and that there must still be a  GOD because after all, there is still ice-cream and cupcakes in this world.  So after hours of feeling like this would ONLY happen to me, I snapped out of it and accepted the fact that there could be worse things that could have happened (i.e. - Josh decides that this whole marriage thing just wasn't right for him after all).

So that leads me right up to yesterday, where we had a lunch scheduled to meet with our new minister to make sure that everything is Kosher (no pun intended) for the big day. Immediately we get our food and sit down and Zach begins to say a prayer: 

Zach: "Let us pray......yadda yadda yadda....in Jesus Christ we pray.  Amen"

Well shit.  This is off to a great start.  As Zach looks up, he immediately realizes that the JEWISH groom who is sitting directly across from him has a nervous smile on his face.  And then it hits him

Zach: "Oh crap!  I'm so sorry.  I totally forgot that you don't believe in Jesus and all"

Josh: "That's OK. No big deal" (although I'm sure at this point his uneasiness that was put to rest after meeting with MY best in the world minister weeks prior has now resurfaced and is about to boil over)

Zach: "I'm working on that.  And I will make a conscious effort to TRY not to speak about the Trinity and Jesus during your ceremony"

Josh: "Yeah, that would be good"

So needless to say we were off to a good start.  The rest of the lunch was fine (with the exception of the nervous tension in the air) and while still a bit uneasy I think in the end, everything will work out.  Josh put our feelings into words best when on the way out door he turns to me and whispers "Do you think I should email him later today to remind him that we would appreciate only blessings and vows in the name of God?"




1 comment:

  1. So I was just reading the very beginning of your blog and came across this. Thought you might appreciate knowing that our priest DIED three months before our wedding. DEAD. I was hysterical about it. Then my sister's rehearsal dinner venue burned down. So I felt a little bit better.

    ReplyDelete