Tuesday, October 26, 2010

The Calming Heartbeat

I don't think there has been anything more satisfying than hearing our baby's heartbeat. It's difficult to describe but without being able to feel the baby move yet, its hard to believe something is really in there. Even with my growing belly I sometimes (especially now that I feel great), completely forget that I'm pregnant, or worse, worry that something is wrong. However, when those appointments come around and you are able to listen to the heartbeat, it makes everything right in the world again.

We had our 16 week appointment yesterday and as usual, we were very anxious. Once our Dr. put that doppler on my stomach and we immediately heard the heartbeat we both felt this overwhelming sense of calm. Ahhh.... My friend Caroline told me recently that you can rent the dopplers and that way check the heartbeat on your own at any time. I think we might seriously look into that. Having that bit of reassurance could go a long way right now.

In other exciting news...I thought last week that I felt my first flutter. I wasn't quite sure until today when the Dr. was getting ready to hear the heartbeat and I told her where I thought the baby was (due to the flutter) and I was dead on! So exciting. It pretty much solidified my flutter feel as a baby movement and not just horrible gas. No ultrasound picture this time, but we'll be sure to keep those and the belly pics coming as we get them.

No comments:

Post a Comment