Thursday, October 14, 2010

The Deli Meat Debate

So lately I've been struggling with the "No deli meat" rule of a pregnant woman. First of all, I've done some research, and of the 310 million people living in the United States only 2,500 become seriously ill with listeria each year. I mean, that is roughly the same chance as if an airplane were to fall out of the sky and land on me. Second, I don't go to the sketchy gas station down the street to get my deli meat, and I'm pretty sure Whole Foods is a clean, safe, hormone free environment. Third, my sister had a baby just 5 years ago and no one seemed to care about deli meats then. In fact, no one even questioned it. Fourth, have you seen the TLC show "I didn't know I was pregnant?". If not, you HAVE to check it out but that is another story. Anyway, they don't know they are pregnant up until they give birth (to healthy babies I might add) and I'm willing to bet that they munch away on deli meat sammys the entire time.

As for me, I've decided that if I crave a sandwich and I know where the meat is coming from, then I'm going to indulge. After all, there is nothing worse than depriving a pregnant woman of something she is craving.

No comments:

Post a Comment