Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Baby Essentials

Well, we survived our first baby class. This past Saturday, Josh and I sat through a 4 hour baby essentials class. I originally signed up for this class thinking it would be good for my husband, er, i mean me, to take. It covered an array of different things but mostly focused on the first 2 weeks of life: everything from putting a diaper on a baby, holding a baby, giving baby a sponge bath, and swaddling a baby. I knew I had made the right decision to sign up for this class, when the teacher asked the dads to pick up their newborn (fake baby of course) and Josh enthusiastically grabbed our baby under the arms completely and 100% neglecting the neck/head. Not that I'm too worried, I have a feeling when a real newborn is lying there he will be overly cautious but just the site of his big grin after he thought he had done the right thing was enough to make me forget the whole incident :)

Next we were on to newborn/child safety. One piece of advice given in class was to turn down your water heater to below 120 degrees. Apparently anything above 120 degrees and a child can scald themselves in less than a minute. Anything below it takes at least 4 minutes. As all of this was being explained, Josh leaned over to me with an honest and utterly confused look and said "Hon, that doesn't apply to us because our water heater is in a closet in the garage...there is no way our baby can get to it". No I am NOT joking. That is literally what came out of his mouth. I thought he was completely kidding until I saw the utter look of truthfulness in his eyes. So, I did what any normal wife would do and politely said "are you kidding right now?! They are talking about the temperature of the running water in case they are washing their hands or taking a bath". Followed by my sweet words of encouragement: "That might be one of your dumbest moments yet". Don't worry - no fights were started...we both just had a good laugh and this will go down as something we (or I) will NEVER forget. All in all it was a good day and I look forward to our upcoming classes.

The rest of the weekend was pretty uneventful aside from a family lunch on Sunday and the horrible Jets loss on Sunday night. Below is a picture from our family get together...thought you all might like to see the growing babe.

1 comment:

  1. Thank god our water heater is in the garage. Safe & Sound...

    ReplyDelete