Friday, March 30, 2012

Our New Savings Plan

Well, the title is a little misleading...it's not really a savings plan, but we really are going to save quite a bit each month now that we are off of formula!! That's right, we are officially a bottle free, formula free house! Josh and I did the math the other day and we can get 6 GALLONS of whole milk for the cost of 1 medium sized formula. It.is.crazy.

Liam has been battling a cold for the past few days and 2 nights ago it took a turn for the worse when his fever rose to 103. 2 trips to the pediatrician later (don't ask) and we were diagnosed with a double ear infection and conjunctivitis of the eye all at once. Well since I was going to be staying home with him for a few days until he recovered, I took the opportunity to drop the bottle and formula. I have heard many different methods on how to go about dropping and switching, but after a lot of thought, we decided to go cold turkey. I figure it's better to have 2-3 days of awfulness than drag it out for an extended period of time.

Day 1, didn't go so great. He was feeling pretty lousy from the ear infection/cold and not really into eating anyway so he literally DID NOT DRINK all day. I was starting to get a little worried that he would get dehydrated, but tried not to focus on it too much. I knew he would drink once he got thirsty. Well, it must have all hit him in the night, because day 2 he woke up, I gave him his sippy cup of whole milk and he started CHUGGING it. Literally chugged around 8 oz. Then when he woke up from his nap he was crying, so I gave him another large cup of milk and he proceeded to chug that as well. AND, ever since then, we are have been great. No fussing, just chugging of milk and eating our food and all is good. He is also feeling much better.

I seriously want to knock on wood writing this post, because I can not believe how easy and smoothly it went. I don't know if it helped that we have had a sippy cup around since he was 4 months old just so he would get used to it, or if he was too sick to notice the difference. Whatever is was, it worked and I hope I'm this lucky whenever we have another little one.

He looks a little out of it in these photos because he had just woken up from 13 hours of sleeping. I guess the sleepless nights of not feeling good finally caught up with him.






No comments:

Post a Comment